Friday, September 27, 2013

Take Time to Stop and Smell the Roses

Levi loves to sniff everything.  And everyone. I've personally heard more than one person say, "Levi, why are you sniffing my crotch?" and  "Levi, why are you sniffing my butt?" My come back is always the same: "He only does that to people he loves."  It's true, because he loves everyone he meets.




I thought I had a sensitive nose, always picking up the scent of things no one else could. Then we got Levi. I don't pick up the scent of most things he smells. I'm thankful for that. The funny thing is that he seems to love the smell of everything. Well, almost everything. Even he walks out of the room when he passes gas.





Walks with Levi are a favorite part of my day. We are out, getting exercise, walking along at a good pace and then suddenly his nose tells him to stop. Just as we get going again, he smells yet another irresistible scent. At first this irritated me. Then, while he was sniffing, I would start looking around and noticing the beauty all around me. I started carrying my camera along on our walks and snapping pictures whenever Levi insisted on stopping. Now, when he isn't stopping me, I am stopping him. Some days it seems like the walks aren't so much about getting exercise as they are about enjoying the beautiful scenery (and smells) of nature.

It's easy to get so busy with life or so caught up in our worries that we don't take the time to even notice, let alone appreciate the incredible beauty around us. I know I was guilty of this. Sure, I'd  go out and walk for physical exercise most days. But before getting Levi, many of my daily walks consisted of me walking briskly along with my mind focused on to-do lists, worries and struggles. Once we got Levi, that changed. Stopping while he sniffed out something, made me start noticing the beauty in the flowers, trees, and birds all around me. When I started to take pictures of nature, I started realizing what detail God has put in all of creation. If he cared enough to put that much detail into nature, how much more detail must he have put into each and every human being, even me. Perhaps stopping to enjoy the beauty of nature is exercise for my soul. Especially when I  proof in nature that God loves us.

 
















 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment