Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick



Walk softly and carry a big stick. There are a couple variations of this saying. Theodore Roosevelt used a slightly different version of this old adage in a speech at the Minnesota State Fair in 1901: "Speak softly and carry a big stick." There are a couple of reasons I chose the "walk" rather than "speak" version for my title. First, Levi doesn't know how to speak softly. When he decides to speak, he likes to make his voice heard. Second, it is impossible for him to speak and carry any size stick at the same time. But walking and carrying sticks is an area where Levi excels.



Regardless of the variations, the message is the same. One should not be a bully but should have the ability to defend themselves and what they believe in. Profound? Maybe. But I think Levi just likes carrying sticks.
Levi finds sticks no matter where we walk. Given the choice, he will pick the biggest stick available. But if only a small stick can be found, he will be content with that. The bigger the stick he carries, the higher he holds his head as he proudly prances along. I've seen runners, bikers and walkers all break into smiles when they see him happily walking with half a tree dangling from his mouth.






As I've watched Levi proudly carrying sticks, I've wondered what, if any, "big stick" I carry around with me. We all carry things around with us. I'm not talking about a purse or a backpack or puppy poop bags. I am talking about the invisible things we carry in our hearts and minds every day. Things that affect us and how we relate to others. We all know people that carry joy with them wherever they go. Just the sight of them makes one smile. Of course, we also know people who always carry a burden with them. While we feel bad for them, over time, it begins to wear on our own emotions. When I think about people I know who fit into each of these molds, I realize that life circumstances alone don't determine what "big stick" people carry with them. Some of the people who carry joy with them have experienced great loss, tragedy and set backs in life. And some of those who carry a burden wherever they go, have great blessings in their lives that they don't seem to notice.

Life can be unpredictable and it can be difficult. We all go through trials. But we also each have a choice of what "big stick" we choose to carry around with us. I know there are days when I choose a less desirable stick than others. Some days the self pity stick is the easiest to pick up. But when I carry around undesirable things like that, it affects more than just me. It seems too pull others down right along with me. That's a sign to drop that stick and find a better one. Like Levi, I'm learning to choose the biggest stick available. For me, the biggest stick of all is also the lightest, and the easiest to carry. It causes me to hold my head a little higher and smile a little bigger. What is this miraculous "big stick"? God's gracious love. When I carry that with me, the beauty of this world is obvious. While there are still heartaches and challenges in life, I can see them in a different light. Carrying God's love makes me realize the wonderful blessings all around me.

Of course, the key is not to beat others over the head with this big stick. I guess that's where the 'walk softly'  part comes into play. Trying to force my beliefs on others won't help them feel God's love. But what we choose to carry with us does affect others. By walking softly and carrying God's gracious love with us, others will be blessed.





No comments:

Post a Comment